Thursday, November 27, 2008

Most meaningful gift

Thanksgiving? Smanksgiving! If you haven’t guessed already Christmas is my favorite holiday. I promise the ridiculousness will stop afterwards. Until then, you have to bear with it sister. I was reading about this one husband’s gift to his wife and got all weepy. He’s putting together a book of encouraging letters for his wife on a blog called The Mother Letter Project. (If my husband is reading this he’s probably thinking crap, why did that guy have to ruin it for the rest of us?) I encourage you to go to the site and check it out and submit a letter. I mean how cool is it to get to be a part of something so special for a struggling comrade? Here is what the sweet dad says about it:
Christmas day of 2007 came and went. It was the typical American Christmas—gizmos, gadgets, whatnots, and an oversized helping of turkey. Two days and a transatlantic flight later I was standing in a small other-continental village regretfully pondering my extra helping of Christmas turkey and materialism. I decided that things would be different in 2008.
This year, my wife and our extended families have decided to give a Christmas present to that little village. We want to spread our wealth, meager as it may be. We have decided to create presents for each other and donate the difference to our friends in the village. And here is where you come in.
I am creating my wife’s Christmas present-the Mother Letter Project. Simply stated, I am collecting a series of “open letters” from mothers, to mothers. Share your stories—no matter how raw or difficult. Share you concerns—no matter how foolish they may seem. Share your wisdom—no matter how you came by it. Share your mother story. The only request? Start the letter “Dear Mother” and sign it. I will compile all of the letters in a Christmas book for my wife. If you share a letter here or by email (motherletter@gmail.com) before Christmas, you'll get your own copy of the letters.

Good stuff, huh? This got me thinking about another special gift I got. My college roommate gave me a special gift our last Christmas together. All year long when she and our other roommate would do something cute I kept saying: I want to make an ornament out of you. (No idea why, but I was twenty and at the peek of my weirdness) so when she left town she had bought a little tiny Christmas tree with picture ornaments of each of them, me and some of my family. I was so touched at how thoughtful it was.
Not to toot my own horn (of course isn’t that what a blog is?) but one day when my hubby had a bad day at work and made an off-hand comment about wanting to go to the beach I got the bright idea to make him one. I went to Wally world and got a kiddie pool, a bunch of sand, some blue construction paper and went to town on my porch (my poor neighbors below me, I bet they’re glad we moved) so when he got home and went out on our patio there was a little tiny beach just for him. If you use this idea I would say get a bigger pool if you um, plan on intimacy, ahem. Anyway.
So what was the best gift you ever got? Or gave? If you come up with a really good one I may just add it to my list on the side.. Feeling negative, check out this post on Keeper of the Cheerios and comment on the worst gift your hubby ever gave you. (the post is not all negative, I learned a ton about forgiveness, so check it out anyway.) Vote for my post Most meaningful gift on Mom Blog Network

7 comments:

  1. My best Christmas gift came early almost 4 years ago. She was due the 22nd of Dec. but came on the 4th, my middle daughter! And I think it was the best one I gave as well, to my hubby and my family :)~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! And I LOVE Thanksgiving too! Thanks for stopping by my blog! We'll chat after the holiay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great story! I'm going to have to think about the best gift but in the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving (or perhaps you might prefer Happy Holiay-Before-Christmas wishes instead). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite Christmas was the year before last. That's when Jim took me up to Monterrey Bay and proposed. He surprised me with this gorgeous Bed & Breakfast, where we stayed in the Library-themed room. (He knows me well.) And he proposed on the coast in front of a blooming sunset on Christmas Eve. (sigh...he's so cute.)

    My other memorable Christmas moment was many years ago, when my Mom gave me a stereo, but we had to go on a treasure hunt to find it. That was awesome. Not that comparable, but still memorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story. My best gift ever had to be the first gift my daughter made for me at pre-school. It was this page she had cut out and stuck christmas pictures to and coloured and her teacher laminated. It was the first gift my baby had made without me. Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had so many wonderful gifts, but two stand out in my mind. Oddly, they're both jewelry stories lol, but here we go. The first one, my now DH asked me to marry him on xmas eve in front of his family. Each year, he and his sister put their "special" ornaments on the tree on xmas eve. When DH put his on, he took another one off. It was a velvet bell, and inside was my engagement ring. He read me a poem he'd written himself, and then got down on one knee and popped the question! It was so sweet and romantic, and obviously I said yes! The next best gift was given to me last year by my mother in law. It is a ring too, but this one has a birthstone in it for each member of my immediate family (hubby, me, and the three kids) and next to each stone is a name. It's beautiful and I wear it right next to my beautiful engagement/wedding rings. I never take them off. Thanks for reminding me of some things I've got to be grateful for. Have a wonderful day!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing that our best gifts are relational ones? A life, a new beginning or something meaningful from someone we love. Thanks for the great comments, and check the list there's been some additions.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?