Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Petting the bird on the tree

She walks up to the tree, the Christmas lights shining off her already shining eyes and she is bursting with excitement. I tell her gentle, because I can tell from her trembling that she wants to hug the tree with all of her tiny might. On one of the lowest branches is a felt bird ornament. She reaches with her liddle hand and pets it ever so softly. I pat her head, telling her good, every trying to reinforce the ‘gentle’ petting. She of course then proceeds to poke the bird, viciously, in the eye. At least it is felt. The cats don’t enjoy being poked in the eye either but they have these sharp little claws to defend themselves so they more often then not get shooed out of the house before my little terror can commence terrorizing them. It is moments like this though, when she so gently and sweetly pets an ornament, or when she held up the toy phone to the cats ear because why not? The kitty might have something important to say. That absolutely melt my heart. I am going to have to imprint these moment on my soul so that when she is fifteen and screaming at me that she never wants to be like me I can think oh but I want to be like you. Innocent. Pure. And so full of love she even gives it to ornaments.
Vote for my post Petting the bird on the tree on Mom Blog Network

3 comments:

  1. D's new thing is getting really excited and then grunting while squeezing something (preferably not the cat) as hard as possible. He tries that with my arm and I'll tell him, "Gentle hands, D." And then he takes his little hand and touches whatever he was squeezing as softly as possible. Which just kills me it's so precious.

    Innocence is lovely, but you can still have that love for something as a grown and no longer as innocent woman. It's just a matter of finding that child inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, so cute. Love this part, especially: "I pat her head, telling her good, every trying to reinforce the ‘gentle’ petting. She of course then proceeds to poke the bird, viciously, in the eye."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right? Kaiya does the same thing as soon as we tell her gentle she starts tapping whatever it is so lightly (sometimes) other times she just can't contain herself and simply has to POKE.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?