Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ruminations about lost stockings and my blasted nativity.

Vote for my post Ruminations about lost stockings and my blasted nativity. on Mom Blog Network
One of the reoccurring themes in my life has been this huge battle with expectations. I don’t quite know why but for some reason it seems my head is always in the clouds and I am expecting to be handfed grapes from angels themselves. These delusions of grandeur have only become more refined with age. It would be one thing if it was just that, one thing, that I had to give up this season, but it feels like just about everything. Between my broke foot, my hubby’s tests and the toddler not much has gotten done in the way of festivities. Not much decking of the halls. Certainly not much cleaning of said halls. For the life of me I can’t find our stockings this year or our nativity set. Then the camera broke. Perfect. Just when I was about to take advantage of the rare ice on the ground (I say rare because in Texas it is) and shove K into her cutest coat, hat and mittens to snap a cozy holiday picture. I still haven’t made my annual cocoa mix, or finished shopping and on top of everything else we are now planning a mad dash to Tennessee to see my grandmother. Oi vey. Part of me wants to insist on extending Christmas until the end of January. Though does it really matter we don’t have stockings up this year? How about the pluses, for one this fabulous little girl who gives the best gifts of anyone I know when she finally relents to give a kiss or hug. Because I’ve been so, um, no ambulatory I’ve discovered this wonderful world of blogging. Fun fun. Also due to the need to sit more than anything else I resumed drawing and my church actually put my pictures up with everyone elses’ for the Christmas display (would take a picture, but alas, camera…take notes there will be a quiz.) And even the recent work debacle actually turned out not so bad, I won’t be switched permanently and might have a few more shots at some overtime this Spring. If anything this year has taught me to not be so frustrated about what hasn’t happened or isn’t going to happen but to focus on the good that has happened and will happen. Check out Angie’s blog here, because her post inspired this ‘change of perspective.’

5 comments:

  1. That's a bummer about your broken foot. I bet that hurt. I broke mine a few years ago falling off our boat into a parking lot. Yup, I know that was dumb. LOL!!! I think the holidays can get a little over whelming at times. Hopefully everything will fall in place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are looking at the positive side of things too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to learn how to slow down and enjoy the present myself...we'll have to compare notes come January!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals for all the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to focus on the present. So good on ya! Positive thinking is a good thing. And I am so glad that you're doing all sorts of creative stuff.

    ps. Sorry I've been away from the blogging for a while. Big paper. Must write. Very tired. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?