Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ashes and worry

I went to my first Ash Wednesday service last night. It was beautiful. I'm not entirely sure I do so well with new things though, as I've been worried that I screwed up communion. (Oh drat, I'm not supposed to..) By that I mean we were supposed to dip the bread into the cup and I was nervous about actually dropping my piece into the cup and hence ensuring that all the poor saps after me would have soggy bread grape juice so I just barely dipped my piece. 
The ash part though was very intriguing. I thought it would feel more odd to have ashes on my forehead but instead it was oddly soothing. Like having Head On rubbed on you. (I swear that stuff works, no they aren't paying me for this post). I could finally think for a change, it was like all the clutter of worry of my life was cleared out. So for Lent I have decided to give up worry. No seriously. I've already back-slidden once today but hubby was quick to check me on it. He is ecstatic that I've chosen worry to give up. When I go on one of my worry tirades he calls it "terror land." He's right. I am a first class worrier. Even the insanely odd things, like what if when she's running with a stick and then falls and pokes her eye out? Constantly run through my head. So for this season at least I am going to try and get a ticket out of Terror Land and be a normal person. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. poo, computer ate my reply. here's another try:

    Good for you! I come from a family of worry warriors and I find it incredibly hard to stop, especially with Diego and all the "what ifs." Ugh.

    I think this Lent I'm going to try to focus on looking for faith. It feels like something I need to do.

    PS-how are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computer has been eating my comments, too!

    Good luck on your journey from terror land. I like that term -- I might have to try it out around the house! It's awfully fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I wonder what's up with the comment thing. I thought I fixed it. It might be the virus thing, there was a big one that went through the internet the last few days and it has really made things slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a tough one...especially with a little one running around. Please update if you find a formula to making it work! (Some of us could use some ideas...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far it's gone like this: about five minutes into the worry spell I catch myself and pray. It would be nice if I would remember ahead of time but baby steps are better than being stuck in the mud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great thing to give up. I would never have thought about giving that up. now you have me thinking. Perhaps you will get so into the habit that you will never do it again!

    Becca

    Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?