Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Am I a bad parent?

Hubby and I are planning a much needed vacation after my big test. Between my career, his career and other things coming up for us this may just be our last chance for a get-a-way for a while and we are both very excited. We got the plane tickets, we've booked the bed and breakfast and are starting to plan which touristy things we are going to be doing but this lingering doubt stays with me: how can I leave my baby?
Of course it's not like I'm leaving her on the steps of the fire department with a note and a teddy bear. My sweet parents, who have been helping oodles lately, are going to watch her with my sister. And Kaiya loves her cousins. The oldest one really does well with her and I think the youngest one even likes her a little bit too. She thinks they are these fantastic toys made just for her. But still.
I'm leaving my baby for a five day vacation. And so is my husband. The closest we have come was when I went on a retreat, but even then he was around in the evenings for her. I insisted to him that we call, regularly, like a stalker. And I even hinted that I wanted him to figure out a way to set up 'video chat' so she could see us as well. 
Am I just a total sap as a parent? Should I feel bad about this or is this my neurosis stirring up the pot? And any tips on how to make this easier (for her) (Ok, for me too.)?

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the vacation. I'm jealous. I sure could use one. We went to Vegas when my little one was 6 months old. She had a great time with her aunt and grandma. She didn't even notice we were gone. Hope you guys have a fantastic time. Thanks for stopping at my new photo blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to walk away. She is in good hands, and you two need this time together. It's totally normal to feel badly, but once you're gone you'll be surprised how good it feels!

    I know these don't seem like great tips, but just trust me on this one : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you'll come to be thankful that you and your hubby got a trip away together. I firmly believe that the best (or at least one of the best) thing one can do for their child is to have a healthy marriage. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your so brave. I haven't been away from my boys yet, and the eldest is three. I know it's time, but still. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thanks, we are getting excited about the trip and Heaven knows we do need it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the old adage? If Mommy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. You two go have a fabulous, hopefully sunny, wonderful trip filled with ferry rides and coffee. Good food and lots of you know what. :)

    Love! Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Anxiety about leaving your little one is perfectly normal. Be assured that you are leaving her in good and loving hands and then enjoy your time alone with your husband. She will probably not even remember this time when she is older. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?