Monday, March 16, 2009

Full Circle

My mom used to love it when we would brush her hair. When I was little I loved doing it, I think because it made me feel important. Or maybe because it was something mommy liked. I don't know if I actually wondered if she liked it until later though, when I started to outgrow it. I had all these places to go, you see, and the thought of sitting anywhere for a substantial length of time was not appealing to me. But mom would still ask and so sometimes I would oblige while other times I would pitch a fit. The older I got, I became more capable of questioning motives and so I wondered if she just didn't want to spend some time with me. There was something stilling about that time, the rhythm of the brush going through the hair. I guess I just never understood it because for me brushing was always a very violent experience. With a head full of curls there's not much way to make that relaxing. So I never quite understood why she liked for her daughter to brush her hair so much until last night. When mine did. Her gentle little hand moving the brush back and forth was incredibly soothing. Perhaps when she's a little older and can brush harder it won't be as fun but it was this sweet little thing that was ours. And by ours I mean all three of us, the generations once removed from me. That to me is one of the funnest parts of being a mom, getting to pass on these treasures that my parents gave me. 

11 comments:

  1. I brushed my moms hair and now my 4 year old does mine. I don't ask her to do it yet, but when she asks "mommy can I fix your hair?" I never say no!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always played with my Mom's hair. When I go too long without seeing her I give her a hug and sniff in that delicious Mom smell that I am sure has something to do with her fancy shampoo, but I looooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the role reversal is what makes it so sweet. It's one of the first times that your child shows the depth of her love by trying to care for you physically... I think it means that you must be doing a fantastic job mommying, Court!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kathy B. It's all about them trying to take care of you, and we're so much bigger! It's sweet an cute and makes my smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post.

    I did the same with my aunt when I was little. And I've thought about it over the years, wondering if she loved it as much as I do when my daughter brushes my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well having your daughter brush you hair must be in a parenting book somewhere, or maybe it's just one of those natural things. It sure seems most of us did it and are passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mom thought this was sweet. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet!! My son (4 yo) brushes my hair from time to time. I have a sensitive head so it hurts but I love the bonding. :) Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been meaning to click on your blog for weeks after always seeing it in the hottest blogs section over on the MomBlogs sit, and I'm glad I happened to do it tonight. My mom loved to have us brush her hair when I was a kid, too. Your post gave me a happy moment of reminiscing about my childhood...and an idea of something to ask my daughter to do for me one of these days soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Pops- you had to print it out for her didn't ya? (oh wait, still needing your help when we escape... I mean... good. I'm glad. She's winning mom the year in my book)

    @Jenny... I'm on the hottest blogs section? Wow. My own little corner of fame. Thank you, thank you, please don't throw candy at me it just hurts. If you must throw something why not dollar bills? No? Too riskay? How about rose petals?

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?