Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Giving in

This seems to be the common theme this month: just where exactly is that ever elusive line from being a total wuss as a parent to being a total jerk? Kaiya is getting to where she recognizes the way home several blocks away, and the way to the babysitter's house like two miles away. She cries going towards either. She's just not a homebody (unlike me) and she likes to stay out late (unlike daddy). So when we were returning from a much needed date and had just picked her up from the babysitter's house she keyed in pretty quickly when we turned into our neighborhood and let her displeasure be known. We decided to roll with at, as it was still early, and go up to a shopping center to stroll around. And it was fun, it really was. There was this giant bird statue and when we told her to give it "leg hug" and she did I was seriously kicking myself that the digital camera is out of commish. Then we rode up and down and up and down the escalator and the squeal that filled the entire Border's was delightful. She still threw a fit though when it was time to go. So we tricked her on the way home and went a different way so she didn't realize we were home until we were just a couple of blocks instead of listening to her cry for a mile instead. I asked hubby if we had just totally wasted our time since the big meltdown we were so desperately trying to avoid still occurred or if it was good to let her have a bit of say in things. By that I mean of course she's two so it's not like she'll make the most informed decisions but I think as a kid, even a really little one, what I really wanted was to feel like I had a voice. And I look back at all the times we went to fun kid stuff and realize I very likely did. It seemed we were constantly going to zoos, carnivals, playgrounds and what not. Just like any other kid I hated going to bed and my constant goal was to avoid that awful three letter word at all costs. I guess my own kid is probably just like me in that respect and now I just have to figure out how to be the parent and tell her N-O sometimes and be wise about the times its OK to go for a late night stroll (by late I mean eight o'clock) to see a bird and ride some stairs. 

4 comments:

  1. It is a fine line, isn't it? I struggle with this too. Leaving the play area today Alex threw a HISSY FIT. He did not want to go. I gave him ten more minutes, but that is all. I figured at his age he doesn't really understand 10 minutes, but maybe in 10 minutes the hissy fit won't be so bad for ME. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fine to get out late, Kaiya can remember this (if she does) as a great time with her Mom and Dad. Which is important in the grand scheme of things, right? Anyhow. Yeah. I find myself on that line and teetering often, but it's a good line to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fine line it is. IT's so hard to walk, but as long as you go with your gut, I think you did fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for all the encouragement and welcome back fae!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?