Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bye, bye mountains; Hello Kaiya!

The third day we started a bit earlier. We went to the Space Needle again first thing because we had a day and night ticket, however it was far more impressive at night. I imagine if you went during the day first instead of vice versa it might be more fitting. It was still fun though, and it was clear again, like it had been the night before. And the mountains. I could finally see the mountains. Ahhh. I admit, I quietly told them I love them. Which may seem silly but have you seen these gorgeous things?

Then we went trekking through downtown and went in a few stores here and there. We wandered over to Pike's Market because we wanted to see the fish thrower guys but sadly they weren't throwing because people weren't buying. We then stumbled into a little hole in the wall Thai place that had incredible food. Once we devoured our yellow curry dish we hiked all the way back to the area where we had parked. One of the tickets was for the Science museum and it was a blast. There were all sorts of fun exhibits and we felt like kids. We also got to enjoy an Imax movie about the Georgia islands and then we wandered back to rest for a bit. After we recharged it was back on the town and I dressed up cute for once and we went and had some of the best Indian food we've ever had in our entire lives.
The third day started off a bit glitchy as I was visited by my morning sickness friend. Though it was the first time the whole trip so yeah! I felt guilty for throwing up in the police parking area and slightly paranoid they would hunt us down. Once my tummy settled we set out with our plans to drive over to the mountains. First that meant a ferry ride, which was a blast. I tried to pretend I was Derek, but alas, I don't have his hair. It was a beautiful drive and we enjoyed every bit of it. We went over to La Push and giggled at the "No Vampires Beyond this Point" sign and the beach was simply gorgeous. It was out of the way and sort of rugged looking. Then we drove through Forks and again giggled at all the signs: "Edward Cullen didn't sleep here", "welcome vampires", "no vampires", "Twilight Headquarters." It was like these folks had hit pay-dirt in a depression and they were totally running with it. We continued on to the rain forest and got to see one of the oldest trees in the country. It was incredible. 270 feet tall and 12.5 feet wide. We hiked for a bit and then it was getting dark so we took off. The drive home was a mad dash to make it to the ferry on time, which we just barely did. It was exhilarating though racing with all the other cars as several of us had gotten stuck behind a semi-truck.
That concluded our trip and the whole next day was traveling home. I simply couldn't take it any longer as soon as my sister pulled up to the house I was bolting out of the car. Kaiya came to the door and looked up with this surprised, happy look. To hold her again and smell the top of her head was the best part. Way better then stupid mountains.

14 comments:

  1. Awww! La Push sounds lovely. But that may be my memories of Pacific Northwest beaches. Love 'em. And I am so jealous that you got to go to Forks! I'd be all over that if we ever went up to Seattle. Jim wants to know if you got any horrible/fantastic souveniers. Like a, I went to Forks and didn't get bitten t-shirt. :D

    It sounds like you two had a fabulous time and I'm really happy you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but hubby wanted to set up a stand: vampire, will bite you for five bucks. To make us some money. It helps that he has those k-9s already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's been a great trip...aside from the tummy. (Poor you on that front..."morning" sickness stinks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip re: cameras Court! I see you read Faemom - you might also like a blog she reads that a friend writes, its called Not Drowning, Mothering (http://notdrowning.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - see you are already acquainted with the NDM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a fun trip!

    It must have bee LOVELY to hold her again. Even when I send Alex to my mom's overnight when I see him again? I give him an extra big hug and kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! I agree with Allison, when my girls stay overnight I MISS them so - such is motherhood ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh my daughter is at grandma's right now, spending the weekend there, and I miss her :(
    She is having a blast though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sounds like you had an amazing trip. I'm jealous. I'd love to take a trip somewhere, anywhere. It's always hard being away from your little one. I also have a hard time with it, but it's nice to get a way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those mountains really are gorgeous. I might have professed my love as well. ;) It's funny, as a mom I'm always exasperated, give me a night without the kids and I appreciate them that much more. Although the time away is nice on occasion...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WAY better than mountains...

    I'm so happy to be all caught up on your blog, and so excited for your beautiful changing life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know! I'm so happy to have time now to catch up on my blogs too. And there have been a ton I've lurked on for a while and/or just discovered that I decided to comment on recently. Now that I am done studying I can blog a bit more, but I'll have to reign it in at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing trip you guys had it seems!
    Nice blog

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?