Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So easily amused

When was the last time you played with a balloon, for over an hour? My daughter's fascination with them, and with the fish out of water thing they do when you blow them up but don't seal them and then release them to bounce all crazy in the air, has reached depths I never thought possible. And what could have been such a wonderful tender moment for the both of us, was probably wasted on me since I was just itching to come post it. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to marvel at her utter fascination with on singular activity, ahem, when I could spend days reading blogs and writing and tweaking my own. It just seems her interests are simpler, and I suppose they are. I mean, I was bored after five minutes or so. And not to mention that we only had one balloon so the build up of saliva in it.... eww ewww and double ewww. Not like I need any help throwing up now ya know. It was fun though, watching her watch the blue balloon twirl through the air with wonder in her eyes. Drinking in her delicious laughter that would crescendo with a squeal of delight. When I was finally getting tired and my poor sore throat could take no more torture for the night I tried to tell her that the balloon was tired. I swear the kid raised one eyebrow suspiciously at me. I tried to lay the balloon down and told her it needed to nap and she patted my arm tenderly as if to say: it's ok mom, I'll find you a good home with nice, thick padded walls. So then I resorted to antics making the mouth of the balloon talk. She loved it. But I about lost my cookies when some drool came out of the balloon's mouth. 

4 comments:

  1. That's so true. Kids really do find the simplest things utterly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to enjoy life's simple pleasures through our children. Until the balloon starts slobbering. Blech!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is gross. My boys love those free helium balloons they get, but when the balloons lose their lift, the boys get so upset. I had to teach them about balloon volleyball, which lasts for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balloon volleyball? I want to learn that!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?