Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ode to mom

My earliest memories of my mother are varying, in that she was always taking us to these weird, fantastic places. I guess it worked out well for her that to a five year old an antique store is way cool, but not even just errands. Like one time we went to this fair. It was in some random town and I think it may have even been in the middle of the week but it was perfect. I still love fairs. I still get disappointed because for the life of me I can't recreate that memory. I remember walking through a park and looking up at the fall trees. Mom was telling us what they were. She was always teaching and then I don't think I appreciated it enough. Since she had been an art teacher sometimes her craftiness came in handy. I loved all the little projects we would do after school with her. And movies. Since there were four kiddos it was special when she and I would just go out and we went and saw some flicks just the two of us. I think the most memorable was City of Angels because a friend of hers had just died and I had this deep sense of pain for her and realizing that woah, mom is human after all. 
Then we went through teenage years. Not my finest. We survived. One or both of us may have screamed: you move out! 
There is something about being a mother that makes you appreciate yours more. I guess it makes sense. Still, I really, really do. There is this twinkle that hasn't faded, this sense of just sheer joy in her eyes and mischief. And I love that my daughter is getting to know her and the joy that she can bring to others. Happy mother's day to all!

4 comments:

  1. It's true - we appreciate our moms so much more when we've become a mother ourselves. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew how much my mom meant to me until she was gone. Treasure the time you have with yours and enjoy every moment of her. Ask questions and learn all that you can learn from her. I'd give anything to have mine back for just a day!

    As for the music on my blog, when you go to make your playlist there is an option to start automatically whent he page opens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post broke my heart. I will faithfully follow your blog.:)

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?