Monday, May 4, 2009

Speak Kaiya speak!

I have been worried about baby girl's language development and now that worry is stamped with the approval of her doctor. So I can officially worry. 
She actually just said that Kaiya should be talking a big more, using more words in general, and when she uses said words string them together in either two or preferably three word sentences. We are on mission teach Kaiya how to speak now. I chase her around the house repeating whatever word I'm trying to bang into her head: "shoe, shoe, shoe, say shoe!!" Or when she says a word, like "cheese" I start in with: "say I want cheese. I... I... want. want. cheese!" She just grins at me. The thing is the kid really does want to learn, most of the time, and it's like she's drinking in the attention so I feel like this is mostly my fault. I mean, do I really have to talk to her in compound sentence structure all the time? (or, worse, scream at her so she can't even understand what I'm saying?) I've noticed she watches my mouth closely when I am trying to teach her a new word or reenforce an old one. It's like she's drinking in the words. So, if my posts are a little choppy for a while, you understand. Must. Must learn. 
Feel free to pray for my little girl, my prayer is here

8 comments:

  1. Will definitely keep Kaiya in my prayers. Keep reading to her and talking. I used to narrate what I was doing as I went about my business (mostly I was talking to myself) but the kids gradually started to join in. It might help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep her in my prayers as well. I think that it is alright if there are language delays. As I have mentioned at www.askbecca.com many times Emma has CP and had many issues one of them being speech concerns. I think that if you are worried call your local early intervention program. They work miracles as far as I am concerned.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep talking . . . about everything! Start with shoe, shoe, and then move on to blue shoe. we're putting the blue shoe on your foot. I was told by another mom how she just kept forgetting to talk to her kid because he couldn't talk back, so I made it a habit to talk ALL THE TIME. Not that it took much. Did you ask your doctor when you should notice improvement, so that you don't overworry? I'll keep Kaiya and you in my prayers. Everything will be all right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying a prayer. I think one of the fastest ways for a child to learn names of things/words is through reading to them about 15 minutes a day if you can. You could also try making flash cards of objects by cutting out magazine pictures and pasting them onto index cards. Then whenever she is eating at the table or something get them out and say the words. It helps if the introductory words are things that have meaning to them (like bear, blanket,mom,dad,etc). My niece turned 2 in March and is not talking at all other than saying mom/dad. I am very concerned for her. Her mom and dad really don't want to acknowledge it yet but I am sure the pediatrician will at their next visit. Prayers and hugs, sister! :)
    tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about singing? Nursery rhymes, lullabies, etc. Try to get her to sing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're doing a fabulous job. You're aware that there may be an issue and you're working on it, which I think is absolutely great. Knowing you, you'll be researching and reading all you can about this (or already have!) and will be able to give me pointers for my own non-verbal communicator. :) Chin up, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby signs? With my first I tried but she began talking really early, so it was a bust. But with the second (now 13 months), we've been doing them, and he's great at them. I've seen studies that suggest that kids who do them are better prepared for Kindergarden, too. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?