Saturday, June 27, 2009

Veggie version of fish sticks

So the one thing I truly miss from my days of eating meat is fish. That seems sort of odd to me for some reason but I digress. I have tried a bit of fish here and there over the last ten years of veggiwondermous but this pregnancy I'm even picker and still get sick at the drop of a hat so I wasn't about to try fish even though I've been craving it. So I routed around and found a couple of recipes for making tofu fish sticks. I imagine the only one who is still reading is Maria Rose anyway but here it goes, and this is not exact at all all... sorry. I cook sortof sloppy.
You cut up the tofu and if you have time you soak it for a bit in a mix of soy sauce and lemon juice. (Some recipes called for one or the other so I mixed them and think it works great). If you don't have time just get them soaking while you get everything else prepared. Then you get something to fry them in. I bought a fish fry and I would tell you the name but it was just ok so I'll let you know if I find a better one. One recipe called for dipping the pieces in egg before the fry stuff but I don't know that's necessary. It does give a bit thicker crust though if you like that. You can just spread out the fry stuff on a plate and roll the pieces around in them. Now the tricky part is the balance of cooking and frying. I think the best turn out is to dip the soaked pieces in the fry stuff and then fry them up till they are golden brown and then bake them for about twenty or thirty minutes, but check on them so they don't burn. The time really varies depending on how you slice them so you might try to make all the sticks roughly the same size. Then you serve it up and dip it in tartar sauce and tell your mind it's fish. 

6 comments:

  1. ummm did your mind take the bait?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say thank you for sharing your text story. You made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and tell your mind it's fish" LOL!

    Hang in there, Court. Hope you're getting a break from the nauseated states! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe. My aunt is also a vegetarian. I'll make sure and share this with her. I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know D and I really like fried tofu. It's almost exactly like your recipe, but no second step. Just soak in soy sauce and then fry in a pan with a little oil. It's pretty tasty. But I like the idea of using a fish fry. Yum. Hope it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hate the morning sickness stage. I hope you get out of it soon. One of these days I'll try this as I'm not big on tofu, but for you, I'll try it.
    P.S. I love the new pic and theme.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?