Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sigh, another first.

So purple eye shadow is out for my daughter. I mean, it's just not her color. How do I know? Not because I was brave enough to try letting her wear make-up, I mean I could just hear the screams now when it got into her eyes... but because my little baby girl got her first black eye.
The worst part was the helpless feeling I had as I watched her, running full tilt, catapult herself into my mother-in-law's coffee table. I think she got tripped up on the carpet, after all, we don't have carpet. We have hard wood floors and that 70s stuff that once passed for carpet. She landed on the corner with the corner of her eye. At first I was really worried because I thought she had nailed her temple. I once heard that if you get hit really hard in the temple you die. I'm not sure that's true. At least, no more so than any other part of your head, but it sort of stuck with me. Like this silly worry I can't shake. She was standing there crying, the wounded eye away from me at first so I couldn't see how bad it was until hubby came in and scooped her up and turned her towards me. There was already this little ping-pong sized knot on the side of eye. Luckily it went down some after we put ice on it but then over the next few days this purple bruise spread across half her eyelid. Hubby had to make awkward comments about how he doesn't hit his kid. If you know him in real life you're probably nodding going, 'of course he did.' I keep wanting to kiss it and make it go away but she doesn't seem to even remember it or care one whit. It could have been worse, like right before a big family picture time, so at least there are small blessings, eh?

7 comments:

  1. Well, if there were family photos I would highly recommend evening it out with purple eye shadow and just pretending that you want to start her on the beauty pageant circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the "law" when you need 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, poor Momma. Kids are tough. Like you said, she doesn't even care anymore. Poor little thing. I hate it when they bump themselves up pretty bad. And at least she didn't give YOU a black eye? Yeah. It happens. Little flailing arms are dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope she is okay and it heals fast. Poor baby, poor mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she is okay and that it wasn't worse. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One time my daughter ran face first into a door knob. It was so loud and awful and purple I wasn't able to speak at first. Once the bump went down and she stopped crying and forgot all about it I felt completely paranoid taking her in public.

    Somehow I think these things are harder on the parents. (Once we know they're okay, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor kiddo. On the other hand, you got pictures of it, right?

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?