Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dun Dun Dun!

The big 3-0 is fast approaching and sort of making me take stock. Or just gasp in horror. Guess those aren't the same thing, eh? Some of my high school pals have been lamenting this development with me on Facebook. Strength in numbers I say. One of the most common themes in these after midnight online chats (the timing is set by newborns and toddlers, because it seems we are all at that stage right now...) is this feeling of not having accomplished enough. Like suddenly the "I'm still young! I got my whole life in front of me!" lines don't work anymore. Of course that begs the question: just what exactly is enough? I mean I have a career and a family and both seem to be plugging along quiet nicely so what box is it that I haven't checked, so to speak? Or more, it still feels like I'm playing at this adult thing... gee, will I finally feel like one when I'm forty? What about you, where are you at in this jaunt called life and if you're further along how did you deal with entering your thirties: with style or kicking and screaming?

6 comments:

  1. Just wait until you're close to 40 ;)


    Congratulations Court, you won my Character is The key giveaway. please send me your email address so I can provide it to Kathryn of MomCentral. They will be the ones sending out the book. I need to have the info before Wednesday. Thanks.

    zeemaid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not there yet (close enough) but still feeling like I haven't "DONE" anything in my life yet. You know. Except make 1.85 babies (#2 is almost done). There's so much more to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I turned 30 I ditched the boyfriend that I lived with and went to New York. When I came back I broke up with boyfriend and proceeded to fall in love with my now husband. I was a little freaked by 30, but I got over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hit it next summer. My mom has consoled me that we're unhappy with getting older when we don't think we're in the place we want to be. Yeah, I didn't think it was much help either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have a year and 5 months until my 30s, but my hubby is swiftly approaching. I haven't given it a ton of thought, but maybe that will change. My mom told me that she felt as though she was just getting interesting when she turned 30.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feared 30 for all of the same reasons, and you know what? The day after you turn 30 is pretty relaxing. And 31? Fantastic. Just get 29 over with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?