Saturday, December 12, 2009

Unhand the ornament, woman!

I am not usually anal about much in life but for some reason decorating the Christmas tree brings it out in me. I have this insane desire to make sure the ornaments are evenly distributed among the branches. So when Kaiya and I started decorating and this year she was a bit more aware and excited about it I found myself checking my left brain. I still twitch a little when I glance at the branch that has FOUR ornaments on it, especially when one whole side of the blasted, tiny, Charlie Brown, plastic tree has NONE, but I am hoping some egg nog can make the twitch go away. And yes, I admit, I did space out a few, but I have to say-- I really did manage to let go a little and leave most of what she had put on where it was. The truth is, it really is beautiful. I never quite understood why people covered their cubicles in scribble drawings but now as I plaster my cube with Kaiya's masterpieces I get it. It's not that our standards of beauty are lowered, quite the opposite, they are raised. Suddenly we realize the orderly sense that we thought we needed in life can very easily be replaced with chaos but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The chaos that children bring is worth it for the beauty that is getting to know them and love them. And CJ even helped out too by swinging in his baby swing and not fussing for almost an hour so we could get the tree mostly done.

3 comments:

  1. Court,

    I love this post. I am anal, almost always and my daughter is really changing me for the better. My standards are being raised in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I was decorating with my crew and I was marveling at how my mother has just let go and let's it all happen. I don't know, she may go back a move things around on the tree, but she seems so content with the chaos. I hope to follow in her footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post! This is the first year my help could help and he enlisted his daddy to help too. I gritted my teeth, only to say one comment "Um, it might be a good idea to put the more breakable ornaments out of reach, especially the one you're holding."

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?