Thursday, January 21, 2010

So! That's why...

I dare say I am not alone in not always understanding God and why he does what he does most times. Someone I know just died of cancer and he had two small children. It breaks my heart. The people that are close to him seem stunned mostly because the cancer sort of came back out of nowhere.
How come we live in a world that forces me to hover over my child at the Chucky Cheese for fear of predators? And so forth. My little girl voice whispers: well, free will, I guess. And I sigh. I mean, really? That's it? It helps sometimes to remember the story of it all. When Kaiya and CJ were dedicated at church they were given the "Jesus Storybook Bible"
And we have been reading a few pages of it every night after our other books. It is so beautiful. Again, I'm not getting paid to write this, but I swear, this book, will melt your heart. When we came to the story of Abraham (it is so cute when Kaiya says his name, she says it correctly just really spaced out... Abe...Rah....HAM!) when God asks him to lay Isaac on the alter I blanched a little and started to skip over it. Saying to myself that it was too scary for her. After all the kid has been talking about the "mean snake!" ever since we read the Adam and Eve story a few weeks ago. But then I felt a little check in my spirit, because I knew the real reason I wanted to skip it is it would be too scary for me. After all. This was a great story when I was in college. When the thing I was placing on the alter was my career. Or my desire for a husband (though, that was a bit harder, as at 25 I was convinced I would die alone an old maid only to meet my husband before that year was over.) But my child? For real? No. NO! Sigh.
As we read the storybook version of the story I realized I was the one who needed to hear this much more than my daughter. It told about how Isaac walked up the mountain carrying the wood on his back for the sacrifice, trusting his father when he said the Lord would provide one. And I think the thing that gets me is: geeze this is a cruel object lesson. I mean, yeah, God tells Abraham to stop in the end and then give them a ram caught in the thicket but it does seem a bit dramatic waiting until the last minute to stop Abraham from killing his own son. I forget though. I forget what it means, and that He never asks anything of us that He is not willing to do himself.
I'll leave you with this. The last few sentences of the story from her bible:

Many years later, another Son would climb another hill, carrying wood on his back. Like Isaac, he would trust his Father and do what his Father asked. He wouldn't struggle or run away. Who was he? God's Son, his only Son-- the Son he loved. The Lamb of God.



6 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about that story too. It's hard to consider as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine what Abraham was thinking. I don't know that I could even say I have the same amount of faith, knowing that I might say no if asked to sacrifice one of my kids. Thankfully, I know he never has to ask now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've enjoyed the Jesus Storybook Bible too. It's funny how something written for children is just as meaningful (sometimes even more) for parents. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I could do that. I'm pretty sure I couldn't. And I never understood that story, always seemed so mean! But I like how you explain it. Makes more sense that way.

    ps-love the new blog title. But what happens if you have a third? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you sweet ones. Sometimes you put your heart out there and aren't quite sure if you should be that vulnerable but your sweet words are encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never liked that story. It just seemed so cruel, like God wanted to be reassured that He was number one in Abraham's life. Though, to make myself smile, I like to picture Sarah after they come down the mountain and how pissed she would be to here the story.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?