Tuesday, January 19, 2010

That place. Really fun!

I came home from work one day and noticed my little girl, who is closing in on three, was a bit down in the dumps. She seemed to be needing a pick-me-up and so we decided what better thing to do than go to Chucky Cheese for the first time? We started telling her about it: honey, you and mommy are going to get pizza! And play games! And jump in a giant pit of balls! She looked dubious but was sold on the idea of pizza at least. As she marched out she pointed at her brother: "Baby brother! You stay! Home!" So. Obviously she was needing some quality big-kid time. We assured her that the last thing we were planning on doing was juggling her and the baby at Chucky Cheese of all places and so off the girls went while the boys hung out at home.
As soon as we got in she could hardly stand it. She waited with me but her little eyes looked at the sheer, glowing, neon wonder that is arcade games. She looked up at me like: mommy! Yay! As soon as we had our cup and our little number card for the order she took off to the games. I picked a weekday night and thankfully it was very slow. Some things have changed about Chucky Cheese, or at least, I may not remember it very well since before I was seeing it through the eyes the child and now I was the parent. It was hard to tell what I was worried about more: germs or pedophiles. They had this handy-dandy roped off system where they would stamp your hand and your child's hand and then all the pervert had to do was barrel past a 95 lb door guy and leap over a little piece of string to whisk your child away to god knows where. So. I watched her like a hawk. But I wanted to be there for those moments. The first rides. Experiencing putting tokens in. I tried to resist taking over the games to let her do it her own way. Then she saw the giant slide thing and since the ladder to it was too high for her mommy had to crawl up it. At one point I thought I was going to be stuck and had visions of them calling the fire department to get a fat thirty year old out of the tube thingy. That vision was the impetus I needed to suck it in and get up the ladder tube. Sadly there was no stage show. I remember the costumed characters and that giant mouse robot thing. Well they had a TV show instead but they did have the mouse thing. As soon as Kaiya saw it she had to go up and see it. When the mouse was done singing "Lean on me" she kept saying "more mouse!" I had forgotten how surreal it is to watch a mouse machine sing at you. Once we were done we went to count the little ticket stubs to see if we could get stickers or a pencil topper. I was then informed by the nineteen-year-old behind the desk that they have machines for that now. Well where's the fun in that? Aren't you supposed to lose track about four times and have to start over? Maybe the American public can't count past twenty anymore so they figured it would be more cost-effective to spend thousands on a machine rather than waste man-hours while customers and clerks fried their brains counting out pieces of paper. Once Kaiya had her stickers and piece of candy in hand we headed home. As we drove away she pointed at the building. That place. Really fun! Well said kid.

5 comments:

  1. I remember my one on one time with my parents when my brother was first born. They made a huge impression on me. I wonder if she will remember this for years to come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours is fancier down in San Antone. Sir Charles Esquire Cheese. Come on down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mechanized singers still haunt my dreams....hehe I'm so glad she had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful mom and daughter outing! You are an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great memory for you both! I have yet to take my boys; the grandparents did once. I just keep thinking about all those germs and those bratty kids no one is watching.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?