Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I make you happy?

It started a few weeks ago, this simple little question loaded with meaning. The first time she asked me the question took me by surprise because the timid way she asked said everything. "I make you happy?" There was this temptation to dive into a pool of self-absorbed despair: oh geeze, what am I communicating to my kid that she thinks I'm unhappy with her? At first she would say it sort of worried but then she started saying it more and more. Like when she would go potty and I would whoop and holler and give her stickers or a high five. She would finish it all off with a squeal: "I MAKE YOU HAPPY!!" My answer to that question is always the same; whether she is asking it timidly, say just after knocking something over or accidentally bonking brother in the head or after having a humongous poo the size of which would make a frat-guy blush; yes baby girl, you make me happy; because I love you and there is nothing you could ever do to make me stop loving you.
It sometimes almost seems silly how often she asks it, how often she needs to hear that she is "OK' with us and makes me slightly worried but then again... There is another little girl who is ever-asking the same question, in a small voice: I make you happy? And He must be getting sick of it but his answer is always the same: yes baby girl, you make me happy; because I love you and there is nothing you could ever do to make me stop loving you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that pulled at my heart strings. You have such a gift in that sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?