Wednesday, February 24, 2010

This mind

Something that's been on my mind (ba da dum ching! ... that was the sound of a drum...) has been this little golden tidbit from the good book: 'take every thought captive.' I hope that I'm not the only person that does this but have you ever had an imaginary fight in your head? I seem to do it when I'm anticipating one for some reason and it's like I want to practice what I'll say should a real one come to pass. What I've noticed though is that sometimes, just how you can get worked up in an argument, I will start to get worked up towards whomever I am fighting with in my mind and then base feelings off that. It is sooooo not fair to just walk in to the room and ding ding ding you're in round 3 already of a knock-down-dragout and you didn't even know it. Just ask Hubby. Poor guy, but in many ways he has been good for this. I don't know if there is anything quite like marriage to teach you to keep short accounts. I am realizing more each day, heck each thought I have, that I need to keep short accounts in my mind. I tend to let it run wild at times and before I know it some little tiny thing has been completely blown up to a humongous, ridiculous size and it all could have been stopped if I had just thought: hey girl, that's reaching a bit why don't you wait and see what happens rather than imagine the worst-case scenario all the time. One little theory I've been twiddling around in the ol' noggin' is that maybe thoughts can take on a life of their own and that is why you have to take them captive. Because if you don't they will sprout wings and fly off and smack someone. Or take root and turn into a tree that overtakes your very mind.
Of course the second part of that take every thought captive thing is you're supposed to submit it to God. Which just makes sense I think. I mean, if I am crazy why would I review my own crazy thoughts to see if they are, in fact, crazy? You dig? While it makes sense I'm not sure I have the faintest idea of how to do it other than after I think something that is off the wall or start worrying some giant epic away in my mind to pause for a moment and say, scream rather, HELP!! Any thoughts on this that you've managed to capture that you can fling my way?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's like you read my mind. I was having an argument in there and reading this really made me take a step back because I was ready to go for the knock out punch. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?