Friday, June 24, 2011

Time blocks

At work I came across a company that only answers the phone for three hours a day. I had a mingled sense of jealousy and annoyance. When I started to grumble about it to a co-worker they were like: I do that, I only answer calls for a certain time of day. Upon thinking on it for a minute or so I realized that I do too, but I remarked that I am not completely "unavailable." 
Once I started delving into this issue of blocking off time for thing, and allotting time for things, it occurred to me that with things that devour time, like perusing the internet for pretty and new blogs, are best when they are reigned in. As much as I would love to fart around all day being inspired and encouraged by lovely people far away (or close, who on Earth knows??) for Heaven's sake one child is still in diapers and the other is constantly asking for glasses of water. (I guess diapers and water are a necessity, and blogging, is not?)
I'm curious how you organize your chunks of time given to you. I have tended towards doing things in big batches. Like about one day a week I'll work on my blog. I'll draft up posts for the week (if it's cheating to schedule them then I'm a cheater) and fiddle with it for a bit. Another day I'll catch up on reading others blogs and I love that every time I do it always seems there's a theme. Like everyone is collectively working on the same art project and it's growing, expanding in exciting ways. One does swirls which makes another think of flowers and then oooh! Flowers on swirls! 
At any rate. Coffee time is about to start and that is one little appointment I scarcely miss. 

2 comments:

  1. I try to write every night and read a certain amount of posts, but it never really goes as planned. I am easily distracted and I like you have little people demanding my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Court! I found your blog after you commented on mine (thank you! :)) and have been checking out your recent posts. I love how you are so open with your everyday life! It's the stuff we're all made of...it resonates. I really liked what you wrote in this post about God showing you things through what you read:

    "Another day I'll catch up on reading others blogs and I love that every time I do it always seems there's a theme. Like everyone is collectively working on the same art project and it's growing, expanding in exciting ways. One does swirls which makes another think of flowers and then oooh! Flowers on swirls! "

    Haha...LOVED that! I know exactly what you mean! God is so awesome like that. He makes this so much simpler than we do. :)

    God bless you and your sweet little family!
    Love,
    ashlie

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?