Monday, July 4, 2011

Life lessons

I've been thinking about turning points in life lately. I guess with my grandaddy dying and so much going on these last few months it's only natural. What's really got the noodle cooking though isn't the sudden, drastic changes but the slow, building ones. Like when you realize something over time or learn something, sometimes painfully, very slowly. I tend towards that I'm afraid. Every now and then I shoot right up. And of course that hurts, to grow to quick, but it's like everyone can see it. I remember one summer I must have grown four or five inches. The basketball coach was salivating. (Ok, partly because she played for the other team but that certainly not another post.) It felt like I had accomplished something. Which is silly. Not only did I feel different but I looked different. 
Other changes though happened quietly. Suddenly I understood more about being selfless but it seems like you would have to be selfless for years before people would stop assuming you're the same selfish child you used to be. Or wisdom is the best one. It's like the more I learn and realize the more I realize I know nothing at all. I'm not sure I'll ever be one of those self assured, comfortable old people; but hopefully I'll be interesting. 
What about you? What deep, or not so deep, things have you been learning about yourself lately?
I give thanks for:

  • learning
  • growing
  • just, simply, being
  • and fireworks, of course.


1 comment:

  1. I'm learning that getting angry all the time does me no good.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?