Sunday, March 11, 2012

sabbath workings

The title is meant to be ironic. In that, the sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest. Alighted from work and purposeful in the repose. 
I and some gals from my church as well as my bff who lives all the way out in california have been musing on Sabbaths with art. What is truly surprising in each of these times is that God shows up. 
He is a living being. With thoughts. Feelings. Ideas about how things should go. 
When I first got married it took a while for me to realize my husband was not the imaginary one I had been married to for years. I couldn't control him. I still forget, sometimes, that he is in fact his own entire person. Even harder was when the first baby, whose bottom I used to wipe, started having ideas of her own. One day she couldn't talk and the next she was running the place. 
With each of these startling developments I learn deeper, truer, how  great is this grace of freedom and just how high is the pain of his cost. That not only did he save us but he had to swoop down to us to do it. That not only did he woo us but he spoke for a millennia with no answer and yet on he sang, a love song spun for a world. That even though our salvation meant his death, still he came. But here's the thing. It's not like he just stopped talking the moment he rose and parted the clouds heading back home to heaven.
He lives! And he has ideas about things and sometimes, wonder of wonders, those ideas aren't mine!
I sure as heck can't control him, nor, do I want to. I can move close to the fiery mountain of wonder and dive into the smoke of mystery and actually have a freaking relationship with a living God. 
If that is not simply awestruck, wonder-filled joy, if that is not the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me than I need to reassess what I think is amazing. How about this?
Exodus 24:10
... and they saw the God of Israel. And there was under His feet as it were a paved work of sapphire stone, and it was like the very heavens in its clarity.

What I truly think is amazing is that some day I can be there, before his throne, and worship him. Until then, I'm going to stare up and wait. 


sapphire
stare up with wonder, sapphire
it is all clear as day, the foundation
truth as beauty, lake as a floor
there are wonders we can't imagine
it is all so startlingly clear, and blue
there are things we can't know
truth in life, full of pain and joy
life's beauties can't even compare
with heaven's startling realities
a sea to cast away life's hurts
deep and gone, away from us
on top of sapphire sits the One
until then, stare in wonder at blue 

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Love this blog and your thoughts. Blessings to you and yours -

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?