Wednesday, April 18, 2012

He gives us roses.



It was a roller-coaster. We thought we were prepared, we really did. We had researched, planned and prayed. Everyone told us how hard it was. That you would fall in love, head over heels, with one but that it wouldn't work out. We felt that way more than once. Then we found the one.

A perfect little house for our family. When we first walked through it we couldn't believe how great it was for us. Just what we wanted and well within our price range. Then, in a startling moment of joy I shouted out: honey! It has four bedrooms! I recounted again, just to be sure. We had all but given up on four bedrooms for what we could afford and were settling for three. 

We had just put an offer on a house that didn't work out and it sort of felt like a bad break-up. I never thought I'd have a mental image of a house saying "it's not you, it's me..." but I did. 

So it had been back to the drawing board in house hunting after we were outbid with one of the houses we had fallen in love with. We sat and prayed one night about our future house and as soon as we started praying I saw roses. Swimming before my eyes were roses everywhere. I choked out to my husband in a hushed whisper as if the roses were surely a holy thing that I think it meant the house we were supposed to be in would have roses. It sounded silly but he took it seriously and nodded solemnly. Roses. We would look for roses. 



You would laugh that we missed these. That the perfect house with a whopping extra bedroom had this gigantic bush right by the door. Granted, the roses weren't in bloom yet, but there was the bush with thorns ready and waiting for said roses to fill it, right by the door. It had been bugging me that there were no roses (or so I thought.) Buyers remorse never set in fully but I had this slight pang of, what if we screwed up? 

The day I got the keys from the realtor I walked towards the front door and saw the first bloom. A rose confirmation slapping me in the heart. But that was not all. There was another yellow bush by the back yard (that someone cut off the blooms before I could take a photo of... I have my suspicions...) and then yet another deep red one. There is likely a fourth as well but the blooms have not come out this year. I can't wait to see what they will be. 
Because. He gives us roses. Not just one mind you but three, maybe even four tantalizing rose bushes. That I have enjoyed dearly. 

My father once planted a rose bush outside my bedroom window and I used to love the smell of it. I told my new husband that story as we dreamed up what our life together would look like. So he got me a rose bush in a big pot that I fear did not survive our stint in an apartment, but still, it was a rosebush for me. 

One rosebush from my daddy. One from my hubby. But four rosebushes from my God. He gives us roses, friend, he gives us roses. 


28 comments:

  1. What a precious story! God is so sweet! Your roses are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

    Also, thanks for visiting my site!

    Jennifer from teachingboys.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Though I don't know that I can take credit for the beautiful roses as it was all Him.

      Delete
  2. I don't have to tell ya'll how much I love roses and darlin' I loved this wonderful story. Yes, Our Heavenly Father gives us roses tangible and intangible.

    Sweetie, I just wanted to thank you for your sweet comment over at my place.

    Please drop in often, the door of the Ponderosa is always open.

    Have a wonderful evenin' my rose smitten friend!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delight and I can't wait to go back! Roses do make for wonderful muses.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog. As for the comment that you left about being tired as a puppy with having my six Kids.LOL Let me first say that children are a Wonderful blessing from the Lord, and that God will never put on any of us, more than we can handle. For as the word of God tells us, we can do all things through Christ who strengthen us.(Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.) As I look at each of my SIX children, I can say I am truly BLESSED, BLESSED,BLESSED!
    Psalm 127:3 (NKJV)
    3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
    The fruit of the womb is a reward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an incredible story of provision, friend. thank you for this... it deeply encouraged me. e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad! it certainly encouraged me to live through it.

      Delete
  5. sweet, sweet story...I love those kisses from God. blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. big smiles...what we give up he returns multiple fold...someone is looking out for you...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes He is! and truthfully i could of had more faith in the situation but He was gracious anyway.

      Delete
  7. What a romantic God story...I love those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first time I thought about the romance of God's love and it seemed like a bizarre idea but the love of God is the truest, highest love that our romantic notiions barely come close to scraping.

      Delete
  8. I love how God nurtures our female hearts. Roses. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, look at the tender book of Ruth or how mightily he speaks to us through Esther... He is a Man that gets us.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I LOVE this story. And the imagery. Yes, roses. God's indeed the GREATEST ROMANTIC in my life! So glad i stopped by today. Will be smiling each time I see a rose bush this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love little confirmations like that. What a wonderful story to have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful story! I love how God works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love this post…what a great testimony of God's hand in the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Such an incredible story - and such great evidence of how abundantly He blesses. Thank you so, so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roses are my favorite. When God blesses us in the little things, it's like a hug you didn't know you needed but did. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that: a hug I didn't know I needed!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for the comment on my blog.... And for your prayers. So happy to read here about the roses that you received. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story is sweet. When I moved in, I got gardenias. My favorite. It was an amazing blessing from a God who tends sweetly to my every need and even my frivolous wants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your rose story Court, unexpected blessings = love + grace.

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?