Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's OK to not be perfect.

So Kaiya's sixth birthday was this past weekend and I had a ridiculous rainbow colored art party planned. Now, in fairness to me I wanted to bless my dear daughter who loves making crafts with a party she would like but I almost ran away wild with it. Then life happened, thankfully.
What I'm wondering though is why did it take different events popping up for me to be OK with a low-key party?
My original plans were ridiculous and I had started over a month ago planning with a whole Pinterest board devoted to it and everything. I was going to make my own decorations, a big layered rainbow cake and various little art-themed sweet treats. For the crafts I pinned dozens of ideas of this, that and the other. Nothing was simple though save a birdfeeder that involved a toilet paper tube, some peanut butter, and bird seed.
Then the weeks of prep time slipped away with the busyiness of life and the weekend before I unwittingly discovered I have an allergy to mushrooms. My dear daughter does too apparently as the poor kid has hives, or a giant one, all over her back. After a trip to the doctor who had to prescribe steroids and two inhalers I was a bit worn out. Then our church was doing a fast for Lent and it's been a while since I've fasted so it surprised me a bit. 
Again though, I wonder why it took having unexpected things come up that forced me to go simpler with her party, and why I couldn't of just planned it simple from the beginning? In the end we went to Walmart and bought everything. From the cupcakes to the decorations to the pre packaged crafts. The only thing I kept from my original plans was the toilet paper thing. And truth be told she had a blast. Alas, I forgot to take pictures so you'll just have to take my word for it, but she really had fun and was excited with all the decorations and the rainbow cupcakes and couldn't of cared less they were not handmade. Here's to making it simple from the get-go next time.

1 comment:

  1. You sound exactly like my daughter. She has planned and done the big parties and then backed off and slowed down on the next ones. It is true children enjoy a party whether is a big planned or little planned one. As for me I would probably be the smaller planned events.
    Blessings on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?