Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Outside the grace bubble

Any week that starts with going to a baby's funeral and a memorial dedication on a Monday is going to be a hard week. There's nowhere for it to go but up though. 
I might of mentioned before but my church is doing its annual Lenten 'Daniel Fast' which is basically a vegan diet with no sugars or enriched grains. For me coping with being bummed out means eating my weight in chocolate so that's exactly what I did. I ate five hundred chocolate Reese's eggs and then I apologized to Jesus on facebook for breaking the fast. 
One of the things I keep thinking, in mourning with these friends who have lost their baby, is that I could never do it. Do grief as well as they have been. This baby was born with a fatal disease and yet they celebrated each day with her. Just like the sappy country songs say to do, to live each day as if it's your last, they did this with their little girl. Only it hasn't been sappy. It's been the most startlingly beautiful thing I've ever seen.
I was talking with a friend today, who was also at the funeral, and we were talking about how three days later we're still a little bummed. (Nine chocolate eggs is my current count it's taken to write this post, for example.) This friend remarked how she was a bit surprised when she burst out crying during a meeting for no reason and I nod and am secretly glad I have a solo office. With a door, that closes. 
Then she told me about how when she was younger there had been a child in her church that had drowned and the child was the same age as her son. This young mom was wrecked with the grief of the situation and an older woman explained to her that the family had grace for that situation and when those of us on the outside are looking in on it we can't comprehend what it's like because we are outside of the grace bubble. 
This immediately made sense to me because I have seen and experienced a deeper level of grace in the births and subsequent NICU visits of my two children.
When Kaiya was born we had to go to the NICU for a high fever to be monitored and while it was a slightly jarring experience we quickly realized how blessed we were that she was mostly healthy. Especially when the baby across from her was brought in as his tiny face all covered in various tubes. Even more startling was his mother who was an absolute mess and sobbing almost uncontrollably. I held on tightly to Kaiya whose bright little face was flush with color. I remember hearing the words "fluid in the lungs" and when I looked at the baby who looked slightly blue my heart lurched inside of me like it was trying to escape the tiny room we were trapped in with all this potential grief waiting to be unsprung at any moment. That little baby's face was completely covered in tubes, one of which was larger than his thigh, and I remember thinking "Fluid in the lungs! I could never!" 
Fast forward about three and a half years to when we are having CJ and the part where they normally bring the baby to the mom was a bit different. This time there was a strange hustle and bustle in the room and I looked over at my husband's worried face and realized the nurse had called over the doctor. Then I heard the words. Fluid in the lungs. I could never... There was my own son, with the same large tubes covering his tiny face that I had seen on that other boy. But there was grace. There was a strength that had not been there before when it had been Kaiya with a fever. In many ways, it had been helpful to have gone through the process of having been up there before and knowing the routine of the NICU. We settled in to that strange routine a lot more easily the second time, which was good because we were there for not just three days but a little over two weeks. 
There are unspeakable things going on all around us. But not all of them are things we are meant to bear up, and certainly never alone.   When it is our turn to go through a hard thing, there will be grace. He does not mean for us to walk to paths of others but to simply walk ours, in faith. And when the grief strikes a bubble beside us it is good to mourn with those who mourn. To take in the sadness, indulge a bit in handfuls of chocolate, and do our best to not be overwhelmed with a circumstance that in our limitedness we simply can't fully comprehend. To turn our "I could nevers" into, "I can and will when I have tos."
CJ in the NICU in 2009, all covered in tubes from 'fluid in his lungs'

14 comments:

  1. Hi Court, this is my first time stopping by and all I can say is WOW, what a powerful post! Thank you for sharing this story and everything you've learned through trials. As I was reading your post I really was thinking "I could never" and then you ended it on such a powerful, hard hitting, and wise note. I feel so blessed to have stopped by this morning!
    x
    Steph
    p.s. sorry if this is a repeat comment - my computers crashed on my 3x trying to post this! Please tell me I didn't get a virus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. this is Stephanie from Gospel Girls - thanks for stopping by this morning, too! :) Looking forward to reading your blog more often.

      Delete
    2. No worries, I regularly fight with my ipad and have been known to double post something quite frequently!

      Delete
  2. Praise God for His amazing grace! I don't know how people who don't know Christ are able to cope with trials like these. Thank you for sharing this honest, inspiring post. Praying for you.
    God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know either, I was blessed to have grown up in a Christian home and was saved at a young age... I don't think I could of done live differently very well!

      Delete
  3. When I have found myself in times of desperate grief I hold on to the fact that God will never give us more than we can endure. Although it is terrible and amazing to realize that we can endure so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that too, though sometimes I think it's hard to trust it in the moment when you feel yourself being stretched!

      Delete
  4. oh dear. I am sorry for for friend. I have 2 very good friends who have lost their children. I do not think they will ever be the same...they go out with us and laugh but their is a sadness the permeates their being...at the same time I see their faith growing...they both started going to daily mass..when I get upset over little things that happen to my own kids I look to them for inspiration.
    I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, because I remember going through a hard thing and thinking, or even saying to God: but as long as my brother and my son are ok, I, too, will be ok. I had no way of knowing that, down the road, my brother would not be ok. We are 8 years into a crazy mess w/ his health. I have not been ok at points, but I am so much stronger than I was when it all started. 10 nights ago, they took him by ambulance to an ER in Knoxville, TN b/c he couldn't move his arms and legs. Since then (in 10 days!) he's traveled to Baltimore, MD and undergone surgery to have a nerve stimulator inserted. Today, he drove from Baltimore to my house near Richmond, VA in a black Camero. He sleeps under my roof, tonight. It doesn't even sound real or possible, but God does provide and sustain and bear us up in amazing ways. And my only tears in the last 10 days have been tears if gratitude. I've come so far. PTL.

    Visiting from IP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, will be praying for you and your brother.

      Delete
  6. to count it all joy, to live int eh blessing of God's salvation. it is not easy but it is redemptive... great post, and thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Court... this brought tears. thank you for such a moving, and raw, post. bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can so relate to this one. I had two granddaughters in the NICU. One of them was one of the most critical babies that the NICU had ever cared for. She was in the unit for 5 months. We thought she would die several times. I could not have gone through this experience with the Savior. He walked with me and gave comfort and peace to my soul.
    For you to have 2 children in the NICU is not a fun experiences but I can see your deep faith in this one. I also go for the chocolate.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?