Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's rock.


In honor of mother's day coming up, something I wrote for mine last year is posted below. Sadly they have moved to Oklahoma. Well, sadly for me, they are delighted and for their sake I'm glad they are "home." I hope you and yours have a lovely holiday weekend. We got to take some mother's day cards that we made (me and the kids... ok, mainly just me and Kaiya, ok, I admit... I made like half of them) to a nursing home and it was precious. One poor lady was clearly confused and thought the kids were her actual grandkids. We just kind of went with it cause why not? 
Sweet Kaiya was a trooper and politely answered questions and eagerly sought out the women to give them the cards. When we still had some left as we were heading home she asked if we could give some to our neighbors as well. However did I get to mother this precious child? 
And CJ's been getting a bad rap from me lately. Cause he's, well, three. But the kid just rocks. He's so fierce and fantastic. And I can't wait for four. Truly. Oh and he clung to his daddy's legs and hid from the strangers when we went to drop the cards off. I actually thought his response was the more logical one. Thankfully he didn't have an all-out fit until the very end.

At any rate, here's the post on my own fabulous mother!
Two and a half years ago my mom and dad came up from San Antonio to visit us as we were bringing our new son home from the hospital. As she held our baby she quietly told me that she had breast cancer. There was a strength in her voice as she said it that I clung to and I found myself searching her eyes for hope. I remember she apologized for the timing, as if she had planned to have cancer at the same time I had a new child. My first thought was a desperate prayer that my baby would have the chance to know her as I know her. 
A grueling year of chemotherapy and treatments ensued and I remember her sarcastically commenting "everyone seems to be thinking I joined an army or something with all this talk about fighting... well, I sure don't remember enlisting!" By the end of that year she began requesting no more pink. Ever. 
It felt like the air was just starting to clear and the sun was coming out again when her dad got sick with Alzheimer's. She told me that more than anything she hoped he wouldn't forget who she and her sisters were or his beloved bride whom he had known almost all his life. My mom's father passed away this summer and there she was again, strong, and hopeful. Mom was grateful that her father went quickly and was no longer in pain. 
Just a few months ago we celebrated my youngest cousin's wedding and my mom was doing laps around the hotel lobby with the rambunctious two-year-old who was winning everyone over with his blonde hair and footed jammies. Mom remarked to me that the boy has the memory of an elephant as we swapped kids so she could take my daughter down to get a drink. This mother's day I am delighted to have another year with her and that my kids get to know her a bit more. That they get to learn her razor sharp wit and share in her delight of trying new deserts, which they do with much eagerness. 

(And of course we got another glorious year! She is doing great and is delighted to be back to Oklahoma.)

1 comment:

  1. I liked the idea of making and taking the Mother's Day Cards to a nursing home. There are always some residents that do not have anyone visit them.
    Your thoughts on your Mom were sweet. Enjoy all the moments you can with her and I hope it is a very long time.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?