Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mountains and Cows

A while back I got to have a lovely weekend which I spent with thirty some odd lovely women learning about an even lovelier God. Then I came back. To the real world. And feeling crummy. As I sat in a sick daze watching Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments and the surreal scene of him coming down from a mountain-top-moment-with-God experience to one of pure madness as his people go bananas over a golden cow it occurred to me I am so like the people going bananas. I step off the high place and lose my mind over some shiny gold. It's easy to trust him in the mountain-top moments but what about the F-5 storm ones?
My sweet little church does many things well I think but one of the foremost, I think perhaps agreed upon by most, is worship. We rock it so to speak. And going bananas for God is a great thing but I wonder sometimes if churches with energy like that can easily get distracted over golden cows. Or maybe I'm just hoping I'm not the only one. 
One of our pastors was giving a sermon about idols and pointed out, somewhat astutely, that it's not like we see a statute of a cow and think to ourselves: ooh, I really want to worship that right now. What is more likely is putting our trust in having extra savings in the bank, or serving our God at the church to stave off any bad things from happening to us. Idols are often subtle. That's how they get you. Suddenly there is this thing. Like, maybe my ipad? Holy Tamole... our internet router goes down where I can't use that square-shaped god that glows for a week or two and it's slightly sad how cranky I can get about that. 
The thing was, that even after they screwed up, God still took them back. He gave Moses more mountaintop experiences and the people more and more grace until eventually he gave himself entirely to die for them. So while for all the world I feel like a screw up maybe I should remember that thank the good Lord my salvation does not depend on me but on the risen Christ who came to save me!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to this one. I think we all feel like this at times. I am certainly have great faith in our Savior Jesus Christ and his love and patience with us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Got any random bits of your own?