Saturday, May 10, 2014

Part two of 'the find-your-calling talk.'

I don't think I can stomach another talk about finding your calling.
If I were to count how many sermons, talks and such I've heard on it, I would easily get to triple digits.
Did it ever occur to any of these speakers that some of us might need to hear more?
The part two of the talk so to speak?
What about those of us that are in our calling, have been for- oh I don't know- ten years or so, and desperately need to hear something more.
What would they say to those of us who are tired, no not just tired but beyond soul-deep weary?
I don't know what they would say but I have an idea what Paul would say.
'Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.'
Then, dear old and beaten up Paul, points young Timothy to the end. 
'..the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time..'
The proper time?
Oh. Me and Time again, yeesh. But my Lord I trust. I look to the one who lives in 'unapproachable light' and I wait.
For the proper time.
In the meantime, I have my marching orders which are perfect for this little warrior girl: fight the good fight of faith. 
So I fight.
If you are in your calling, be it primary or close to it, I urge you to join me in standing. 
If you be a weary missionary, keep fighting.
If you be a weary pastor, keep fighting (and for heavens sake tell us about it and give us a freaking part two occasionally.)
If you be a regular joe in a calling of a different sort, well then friend, you are not alone. 
My only advice is to listen to one who I promise went through more as the guy was beaten, imprisoned, and even shipwrecked. 
'Fight the good fight of faith.'

(1 Timothy 6:12-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any random bits of your own?